I'm inspired ... by pretty much every post by Zoe; by Portia and her Refashioners; and many other bloggers out there.
Up until this point I've made some purchases in charity shops - I've bought sheets that I've used as muslins, I made 2 bags out of a damaged floral tablecloth and I've found lots of zips, buttons and patterns that I've
Zoe told me to just go for it, that if I bought something from a charity shop and it didn't work out then the charity had benefitted and I might learn something along the way. With such encouragement I decided to go for it.
This is what I bought ...
|It was too big at this point as Doris is demonstrating very effectively but I could see it had potential,|
it's not clear in the photo but the shaping around the neck and armholes was very flattering.
I was attracted to the print straight away, it's pretty clear I love orange.
I thought originally I'd just try and take it in - Doris modelled and I pinned, considered, contemplated the size of the print, considered where to put darts - and then just took the scissors to it! This is so unlike me, I'm living on the edge! Usually I have a plan and measure, measure and then measure to check.
|£3.50 had gone to a good cause - if I managed to make a wearable garment then that was the icing on the cake.|
Well not this time, I just guessed, went by eye and made stuff up as I went along.
I loved the self covered buttons and loops - found a way to make them work - winging it all the way.
I got loads of compliments at work - I'm so excited I told everyone it was a top in a previous life, I've had some very funny looks!
Drumroll please ... I know this isn't the best photo, I seem to have about 12 of me with my eyes shut/funny lighting etc - I really must try to do better. Trust me, it looks quite nice on in real life!
I will definitely, absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, be doing this again. :)
|This is all I had left to put in the bin :)|