Sunday 2 September 2012

Out of the Dog House

Poor sewing machine, I've discovered my tension problems were thread related. No idea why, it was a new spool, not one of my bargain finds. Apology duly accepted by my machine, we had another go at my red skirt ...

 
Hurray, I'm really pleased with it, although it's not so orange in real life (which ironically would suit me better). Because of the thread issue it's been unnecessarily difficult but I got there in the end. This is the second go at my bargainous 50p charity shop A-line skirt pattern (circa 1971). I made a complete mess of following the instructions this time, no idea why.

The fabric was £5.38 from Ikea (I have enough left to make something for one of my little nieces), the zip was a gift, I think the buttons were 20p each, white fabric on the pockets were scraps, so about £6, excellent.

I followed Winnie's brilliant lapped zip instructions here, Scruffy Badger Time. This is by far the easiest method I have followed, I can't envisage ever doing it another way in future, I could hug her, I had previously put this in and ripped it out 4 times!

I remembered seeing the pocket idea some months ago. I couldn't remember where so winged it. I've now found the original source, and remembered them pretty much spot on, you can find them here at A Fashionable Stitch on a beautiful Ginger skirt.

As red doesn't suit me very much I had planned a Sorbetto from white fabric with navy polka dots for my top half. I temporarily forgot I'd used it to make a dress for my gorgeous girlie - the scraps won't stretch to a garment of any sort sadly but, as you can see from this photo the sacrifice was worth it ...

I have already apologised for taking this photo before A had done her hair or make-up and she gave me permission to use the photo. Of course, I'd like to look half as good after a make over!

And I have an excuse to buy some more fabric - I'm going to a Craft Show next Thursday with P's lovely, crafty Auntie S, I'm adding polka dot fabric to my list!



2 comments:

  1. The red skirt turned out beautifully! I love the white contrast of the pockets in the front and the lapped zipper is perfect - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, I'm pleased with how it turned out, I do seem to have better luck with fitting separates. I do love Ikea fabric, such a bargain! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment :)